National Daquiri Day
Five Food Finds about Daquiris
- The Daiquiri cocktail, made of rum, lime juice and sugar, takes its name from the village and iron mines of Daiquiri near Santiago, Cuba, where the cocktail originated around 1900.
- It was named either by American engineers working there, or by the U.S. troops who arrived there in 1898.
- At least one source claims it did not appear until after World War I.
- Thirsty partygoers and responsible parents lookin’ for a frosty, fruity thrill can find drive-thru strawberry daiquiri stands just about anywhere in New Orleans.
- Drive-thrus now limit customers to only one straw per visit, and they can no longer pack adult-strength strawberry daiquiris with kids’ meals.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1104 Flitch Day. A married couple who can prove to a mock court with a jury of bachelors and maidens, that they have ‘not wished themselves unwed,’…
View original post 110 more words